How Do I ?

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a new minister for my congregation?

Calling a new minister is a joint process between the congregation and the Presbytery. The Chair of PRC (the Pastoral Relations Committee) will guide you through the process. Here’s a summary of the steps that will be involved.

How do I become a minister?

If you’re interested in becoming a minister, transferring your ministry into the Uniting Church, or even just thinking about the possibility, contact the Chair of our Ministry Formation Committee.

Who do I talk to about Lay Preachers?

All questions about Lay Preachers can be referred to the Presbytery Minister, Mission & Education.

What can I do with our congregation’s property?

The Chair of the Property Finance and Administration Committee can help you with any questions regarding the use, maintenance, renovation or sale of church property. Another useful contact person for these questions is the Presbytery Minister, Administration.

What do I do if there’s conflict in my congregation?

As a first step, you might want to talk with the Presbytery Minister, Pastoral Care.

If it’s a conflict between members of the congregation, the Synod has a document with recommended Grievance and Conflict Guidelines that you should follow unless your Church Council has adopted something different.

If the conflict concerns a minister’s conduct, see below.

How do I lodge a complaint about a minister’s conduct?

The Uniting Church is strongly committed to upholding the highest standards of ministry. If you have concerns about your minister (or any minister in placement within the Presbytery), please contact the chair of the Pastoral Relations Committee. Depending on what the minister has done, there are different processes for addressing the complaint.

How do I lodge a complaint about Presbytery?

If your concern is about people or processes of the Presbytery itself, contact the Chair of Presbytery.