Home / Resources / Risk & Insurance

Risk & Insurance

Risk & Insurance Services provides advice and guidance on risk management and manages the Insurance Program for Congregations, Schools, Camps, AgeWell, Uniting and other agencies and programs of the Uniting Church.

Risk & Insurance Services also manages all claims and negotiates on behalf of its members and clients all settlements to their best advantage.

Further loss control and loss prevention advice is frequently provided in respect to specific circumstances.

Fire safety

Australia is one of the world’s most fire-prone countries and, for church organisations in high-risk areas, bushfire season presents many life-threatening hazards. The best way to manage these risks is to have plans in place well before bushfire season begins.

To ensure you are properly prepared for the fire season we recommend you download and complete the CFA Bushfire Survival Guide and the CCI Surviving Bushfire Checklist.


Risk and Insurance Services
130 Little Collins St Melbourne 3000
t (03) 9251 5924
Insurance queries: Insurance@victas.uca.org.au
Risk management queries: RiskManagement@victas.uca.org.au

After hours emergencies
Malcom Motiwalla
m 0499 303 494

Frequently asked questions

Q. What insurances are included in the Synod program for congregations?

A. Property loss or damage, public and products liability, professional indemnity, employment practices liability, volunteers’ personal accident and directors’ and officers’ liability. In addition, there is a public liability insurance facility for infrequent hirers of Uniting Church property.

Q. How do we lodge a claim?

A. A claim form can be obtained directly from the website. Please contact Risk & Insurance Services for assistance.

Q. If property is stolen or damaged, how much does the congregation have to pay?

A. The congregation pays the first $1000 (for rural postcodes) or $2,500 (for metropolitan postcodes) of each claim.

Q. Are we covered for public liability if we hold an event off-site?

A. Yes, the public liability policy covers activities under the control and direction of the Uniting Church.

Q. Is there evidence of Public Liability Insurance that can be obtained?

A. Yes, the evidence of cover is known as a Certificate of Currency; sometimes evidence is requested by councils/shires and other third parties. Please contact Risk & Insurance Services: 03 9251 5924 or insurance@victas.uca.org.au​.

Q. Where can I obtain the ISR Public Liability Certificate of Currency from?

A. Please contact Risk & Insurance Services: 03 9251 5924 or insurance@victas.uca.org.au​.

Q. What amount can we claim for under the property policy?

A. The full cost of replacement or reinstatement.

Q. Does the age of our church building make any difference?

A. No, even our oldest buildings are fully covered.

Q. What is not covered by the property policy?

A. Normal wear and tear and gradual deterioration of property are two primary exclusions.

Q. If someone trips on our property and suffers an injury, what do we do?

A. Contact Risk & Insurance Services immediately: 03 9251 5924 or insurance@victas.uca.org.au​.

Q. If we have a large or complicated property loss, what help is available?

A. Risk & Insurance Services will arrange for a loss assessor to assist as required.

Q. How do I contact the Risk & Insurance Team?

A.  03 9251 5924 or via email to insurance@victas.uca.org.au​.

Q. Who are the contacts for after-hours claim emergencies?

A. Victoria & Tasmania

New claims and assessment
Malcom Motiwalla
M: 0499 303 494

Existing claims
03 9251 5924


Related Documents