The Synod meets about every 18 months to receive reports, discern proposals, and discuss matters that concern the general oversight, direction and life of the Uniting Church in Victoria and Tasmania.
The Synod meeting includes nominated representatives from all eight presbyteries and includes a Tributes Service, which honours ministers who, since the previous Synod meeting, have:
- been ordained, retired or been received from other denominations since the preceding Synod meeting (2021).
- celebrated 50, 60, 65 and 70 years since ordination or commissioning.
Synod 2023 will be held from November 18-21 at Box Hill Town Hall. The meeting will also be live-streamed and recordings of most sessions, including the Opening Worship on the morning of November 18.
Want to know more about what to expect at a Synod meeting? Take a quick look at our online information booklet.
Call for Nominations for Moderator (2025-28)
Join in our discernment process by putting forward your nomination. At the next meeting of the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania in November, the election of a new Moderator will take place.
In a Moderator we are seeking:
- A person whose life and ministry is informed by deep spiritual practice.
- A wise person of mature Christian faith with an understanding of the Uniting Church and her congregations, agencies and schools.
- A person who appreciates and has skills in goverance and is able to deal calmly in the face of complex decision making.
- A person who can proclaim the Gospel confidently.
- A person who appreciates the Uniting Churches diversity and inclusivity.
- A person who has the personal strength and insight to provide a steady focus in a time of great challenge and change for the Church.
You can download a nomination form here and email it to Sue Withers (marked “confidential”) by July 21 or send it by post to Rev Sue Withers Convenor, Nominating Committee, 48 New St, Brighton, Vic, 3186.
If you are interested in attending, contact your local presbytery secretary (see table below).
LM Presbytery nominations close May 14.
PPW Presbytery nominations close June 16.
NEV Presbytery nominations close July 8.
PPE Presbytery nominations close August 4.
|Presbytery of Tasmania||Shirley Bowersemail@example.com|
|Presbytery of North East Vic||Scott Lesliefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Presbytery of Loddon Mallee||Julie Fletcheremail@example.com|
|Presbytery of Port Phillip East||Anne Kimfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Presbytery of Gippsland||Debbie Byeemail@example.com|
|Presbytery of Port Phillip West||Heather Loaderfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Presbytery of Western Victoria||Helen Wilsonemail@example.com|
|Presbytery of Yarra Yarra||Geoffrey Grinton||Geoffrey.Grinton@victas.uca.org.au|
|Nomination Form for MODERATOR 2025-28||10-05-2023||Download|
|2023 Synod Flyer / A4 poster||04-05-2023||DownloadPreview|
|2022 Synod minutes||03-10-2022||DownloadPreview|
|2021 Synod minutes||07-02-2022||DownloadPreview|
|SYNOD 2021 BIBLE STUDY HANDOUT||29-04-2021||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2019 Synod meeting||19-11-2019||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2017 Synod meeting||31-10-2018||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2016 Synod meeting||31-10-2018||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2014 Synod meeting||31-10-2018||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2013 Synod meeting||06-05-2019||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2012 Synod meeting||06-05-2019||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2011 Synod meeting||06-05-2019||DownloadPreview|
|Minutes from 2010 Synod meeting||06-05-2019||DownloadPreview|